Wednesday December 28, 2016
Who doesn't love a good creamy bisque? Oh wait! I can't have dairy :-(
Today is not a sad day for you! The below recipe is a dairy free and gluten free (bonus for you) winter squash bisque. Feel free to use acorn squash, kabocha squash or even sweet potatoes.
The splurge ingredient for this recipe is celery. Try purchasing organic celery. Celery is naturally salty and organic celery is even more salty (at least to me). Try purchasing organic celery for this recipe and see if you can tell the difference in needing more salt for this dish.
- One whole butternut squash about 4 pounds
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs garbanzo (chickpea) bean flour
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery  diced
- 1 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger minced optional
- 32 ounces of vegetable broth
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of flax milk
- 1 tps salt
- 1 tps white pepper
- 1 tbs cumin seeds
- optional parmesan cheese to garnish if not dairy free
- Bake butternut squash at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes or microwave on high for 4-5 minutes
- Scrap out flesh discard seeds
- Heat olive oil and put in the onions carrots and celery (mirepoix) until carmelized (add fresh ginger here)
- Salt and pepper veggies add cumin seeds
- Add the garbanzo bean flour coating veggies. Cook for 2-3 min
- Pour in vegetable stock and add butternut squash
- Cook for 30 minutes on medium low
- Pour flax milk into the pot and use a stick blender to blend until smooth. You can also use a blender if you wish.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Niche: If you feel the need to have a little more fat because bisque usually has heavy cream and butter, feel free to add more olive oil or even coconut oil.
Stay Fit! Stay Jazzy! XOXO